Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt Response: One disagreement I wish I could´ve handled differently was with my sister about whose turn it was to wash the dishes. I thought that it was her turn because I felt like I had been cleaning them everyday, but I guess she felt the same way since we have split chores. I also just came back home from a long shift while she was staying at home, so I was annoyed and started arguing instead of trying to come up with a solution. My goal was to prove to her that I was right by listing the days I did the dishes, but she ended up using other things against me as well. We ended up hitting each other, and I wish we just checked and asked my mom whose turn it actually was. Arguing should be about reaching a goal, not just pointless fighting and trying to win. Next time, I will do my best to stay calm, start a new pattern of taking turns to do the dishes, and refrain from violence.

Summary: In class today, we read parts of the book ¨Thank you for Arguing about persuasion¨ and how how arguing should be used to reach a goal, not testing the waters or testing somebody´s patience.

Reflection: I learned that sometimes finding a solution and having a goal is more important than having an argument with somebody. I also need to keep in mind that I need to start thinking before I speak.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why.

Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?