Prompt: Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully?

Once I used informal language for an email. I wrote the email like I was texting a friend, and it sounded very laid back which I regret. Looking back, my email should’ve had a greeting, straight to the point, and used good mannerisms. The teacher still was helpful to me, but I felt guilty. This taught me to choose my wording on who I’m talking to and always be mindful. 


In class today we learned differences between formal and informal language.


I learned that the way I speak to my friends shouldn’t be the same way as I talk to teachers, adults, etc. This lesson helped me to understand situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why.

Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?